Thursday, May 25, 2006

My Power Shows Up Best in Weak People

That is a quote from 2 Corinthians 12:9 in The Living Bible. Paul had asked that God would take away the thorn in his flesh. We don't know exactly what the thorn was, but it was obviously some type of physical or spiritual attack that weakened him. Paul prayed three times and the whole verse goes like this:

Each time he said, "No. But I am with you; that is all you need. My power shows up best in weak people." Now I am glad to boast about how weak I am; I am glad to be a living demonstration of Christ's power, instead of showing off my own power and abilities. Since I know it is all for Christ's good, I am quite happy about "the thorn," and about insults and hardships, persecutions and difficulties; for when I am weak, then I am strong - the less I have, the more I depend on him. - 2 Corinthians 12:9,10.

How true that is. I often feel so weak, like I have absolutely nothing to offer anyone. Does anyone else ever feel that way? That's actually a stupid question because we all get to that point regularly. Just last night, I was supposed to lead worship and teach a bible study on Galatians for our Wednesday night gathering. I had had a "not so great" day and had absolutely nothing to give. My prayers were hitting the ceiling and I just wanted to go home and go to bed. I kept asking for strength, but nothing happened. I finally got desperate enough to confess to God my total weakness and that if He wanted anything good to happen that night He had better show up - I was His. Well, I really feel like He did show up during my teaching of Galatians 4, and though I was dry to begin with I encountered Him as I stepped out and let Him speak through me. He is so faithful to do that if we just trust Him and step out anyway. When we are weak then He is strong. I'm glad that I know a God who doesn't want or need my strength or my best. He just wants my weakness and my dependence so that He can receive the glory. Yeah, that fits just right. That's the kind of God that I can give my heart to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home